Monday, November 28, 2005

Jane Siberry breaks new ground with music store

The EFF is reporting that Siberry has opened a music store on her website that offers non-DRM'd mp3s. For payment?

And you pay whatever you like for them. Yes, you set whatever price you like. Options include:

  • free ("gift from Jane");
  • a standard price (CAN$0.99);
  • self-determined price - pay now; or
  • self-determined price - pay later (to facilitate try-before-you-buy).
When you purchase the song, moreover, you can select up to 5 people to whom you can email a link to the song.

I just saw her perform in concert here in SF, and she summed it up this way: "I want to treat people the way I'd like to be treated. I don't like being treated like a child, so I won't be doing that to other people."

For the record, Ms. Siberry is highly recommended. She's a talented Canadian artist. I've had the immense pleasure of seeing her perform live and own several of her albums.

No comments: