Friday, May 13, 2005

Dickie's Quickies

Lots of discussion about Firefox on the web this week. First, there was some worry that the growth of the browser was slowing down. Now, however, IBM is recommending it to it's employees. That's a big business backing and that's good for the browser and good for IE (competition will make Microsoft less complacent). One of the arguments about the growth slowing down is that perhaps people are concerned about it's security. However, Windows Secrets Newsletter looks into that issue this week and gets it exactly right: it's not the number of flaws, but how quickly you respond (hint: IE had more flaws exposed during Firefox's release and is MUCH slower to address them).

Gapingvoid t-shirts are now available and I think that I might want one. They are "limited".

"In 10 seconds this message will self destruct." Well, sort of. So found out a poor Aussie teen after his iPod got run through a washing machine (link above requires registration, so I shamelessly re-print below):

Don't put your iPod through the washing machine. And if for some reason you do, don't try to fix it with a screwdriver.

That's the advice of fire investigators probing a small explosion that burned a hole in the bed of a Melbourne teenager who tried to perform emergency surgery on his ailing mp3 player.

The boy was treated by paramedics at his Bayswater home for breathing difficulties after ingesting fumes emitted by the device as he pulled it apart in his suburban bedroom about 7.30pm on Wednesday.

Country Fire Authority spokesman Peter Philp said the leaky iPod had been taken away for testing by CFA investigators.

"His mother did the washing and the iPod was in the clothing so it went through the washing machine," Mr Philp said.

"It wasn't working, the young fella tried to undo it or fix it with a screwdriver and at that stage there was an explosion, or more of a pop.

"It was more smoke than fire but it did leave a burn mark on the cover."

Metropolitan Ambulance spokeswoman Lirije Memishi said it was unclear what the teenager had ingested.

"We treated him on the scene for minor breathing difficulties but he was fine and then we scooted out and helped save the rest of Melbourne," she said.

No comments: