Thursday, August 26, 2004

XP SP2

While I'm at it, let me report on my experience of downloading and installing XP SP2. I got the download yesterday at around 3PM. It took about 20 minutes to download on my DSL line. Another 20 minutes later and the install was complete. After a reboot, I got to see the new Windows Security Center pop up on my screen and it informed me that it couldn't read all of the info from my antivirus software (Norton). A flash screen appeared from Symantec suggesting that I not share all of that info with other programs and I agreed to that. The security center showed the software loaded at that point, but not sharing all info - I've got no problem with that. The Security Center also showed that Zone Alarm was loaded and, much to my pleasure and surprise, did not turn on the Windows Internet Firewall.

I was happy about this last but as the Windows Internet Firewall is not as good as the Zone Alarm software. Zone Alarm, in preparation for SP2, sent out an update to their software a month ago. Symantec sent out their update last week and sent out another update on Tuesday. Both seemed to have worked well for me.

Honestly, I haven't seen any differences or encountered any problems. I use Firefox as my browser and continue to plan on that until, or if, Microsoft brings out a fixed and better version of IE. My main mail outlet is Outlook. I have used Outlook Express, but only for surfing newsgroups, so I haven't seen the updates in that function. Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2.0 worked just fine as well.

So far, so good. I'll be checking some registry settings and some of my spyware detection software later today and tomorrow and will report any problems I encounter.

No comments: