Monday, February 07, 2005

Dickie's Quickies

(Spelled correctly this time!)

Not much on the blogs today that interests me. Much of it is about the Superbowl, which I haven't watched in years. Susie Bright does have an amusing post on her blog about gossip/tabloids.

This weekend saw the purchase of 3 new CDs for myself. I actually went out to buy a friend a CD for her birthday, got a good deal on them, so I got her 2 and got myself three. Ah, the music whore that is B.D. Anyhow, my first impressions of these albums was very good, but I'm still digging into them to decide how I feel about them.

Antony and the Johnsons' record is fabulous. It's a torch singer type of record. Lou Reed, Loudon Wainwright III, and Boy George appear as guests on the album. Antony has a most lovely voice. Worth checking out. Shawn didn't care for this one from a style standpoint.

Marianne Faithful's new album, Before the Poison, has finally been released stateside. It's most co-written and performed with PJ Harvey and, separately, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. This is Marianne at her rocking best, so I love it.

Blue Scholars are a Seattle hip hop band. I've heard a few tracks on KEXP and liked them enough to buy the album. It's a good solid record with intelligent rhymes that don't rely on the gangsta crap pushed at the masses by record company shills purporting to market edgy material. Check out their live performance in KEXP's studios. While there, check out KEXP's live feed - one of the better public stations on the web.

Finally, let me put a plug in for an upcoming release. Out this Tuesday is a new album by LCD Soundsystem. I've heard 3 tracks and am excited about it. Think Fear of Music era Talking Heads, Brian Eno, some early to mid 80s synth work - at least those are my first impressions. My copy is already on order.

No comments: