Sunday, February 27, 2005

Dickie's Quickies

Jerry Brown now has a blog.

American Atheist has a good post on the controversy of posting the Ten Commandments in court houses and public schools. Which version of the commandments should we post? Better question: why not post the prescribed penalties for breaking the commandments?

It's been a while since I went to the Feministe website. I read the posts daily on Bloglines. Love the new look! Can I say that without contradicting my complaints about the WaPo article on Kinda Sleazy Rice's outfits (FWIW - I think it's a ridiculous double standard for anyone to write an "article" on this topic since no one ever wrote about Powell's loafers)? Anyhow, Feministe discusses the Terri Shiavo case and points us to this article in The Guardian. The Shiavo case is tough for many, but for me it's quite easy: let her husband make the decision. This is a family fight and to my mind it has nothing to do with property issues regarding spouses. There are simply some things that I'll tell my partner that I won't tell my other family members, particularly if it would upset them, and I trust her to make death decisions for me. However, we've spelled all of this out in wills and medical power of attorney papers just in case we both end up in such a state and the Shiavo case points exactly to the need for such things.

Missed the opening episode of the new season of Battlestar Galactica? Watch it and deleted scenes on the Sci Fi Channel's website. Commercial free and uncut. Cool.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has a profile of John Gilmore, one of the first employees of Sun, writer of UNIX, multi-millionaire, and grounded because he won't show his ID at an airport without at least seeing the law that requires such identification (which people have shown is easily thwarted anyhow). A quote from the article:

"Are they just basically saying we just can't travel without identity papers? If that's true, then I'd rather see us go through a real debate that says we want to introduce required identity papers in our society rather than trying to legislate it through the back door through regulations that say there's not any other way to get around," Gilmore said. "Basically what they want is a show of obedience."


The Unfortunate Animal of the Month Club will deliver mutated dolls to your home of office. Amusing in a sick sort of way.

No comments: