Sunday, April 23, 2006

Poems

Continuing my penance for missing a couple of days, here are two poems in celebration of National Poetry Month.

Langston Hughes - I, Too, Sing America

I, too, sing America.



I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen

When company comes,

But I laugh,

And eat well,

And grow strong.



Tomorrow,

I'll be at the table

When company comes.

Nobody'll dare

Say to me,

"Eat in the kitchen,"

Then.



Besides,

They'll see how beautiful I am

And be ashamed--



I, too, am America.

And, Angela de Hoyos - To Walt Whitman

hey man, my brother
world-poet
prophet democratic
here's a guitar
for you
-a chicana guitar-
so you can spill out a song
for the open road
big enough for my people
-my Native American race
that I cant seem to find
in your poems

No comments: