Monday, April 03, 2006

Weekend

It was a quiet weekend here. S had a class at school on Saturday. While she went off to class I stopped in to the grocery to pick up some items for meals. I stayed on task and only splurged on 3 things: scallops (which is what we discussed for dinner), red snapper (fresh and on sale at $3.99 per pound), and fresh strawberries.

Upon returning home, I sat down and stormed ideas for the seafood. Saturday's dinner was to be the scallops. I sauteed them up with a little salt, pepper, flour, and mushroom powder (made from dried porcini mushrooms). On the plate, I served them up with some linguine mixed with smoked tomato sauce (from my freezer), sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, and capers. Steamed asparagus was a nice accompaniment. S really liked the pasta and the scallops turned out tasty.

Sunday's dinner was another easy one. In the rice cooker, I made couscous using a small amount of orange juice and dill to flavor it. I threw together a rather good sized salad using some bleu cheese we had and the walnut oil vinagrette that I made last week. For the red snapper, I cooked it in some white wine, salt and pepper in the oven. When it was done, I removed the fish to the plate, then added coconut milk, green Thai curry paste, Thai fish sauce, and about a tablespoon each of basil, mint, and cilantro (all chopped). Once that came to a simmer, I took it off the heat and spooned it over the fish. It turned out really well. I only used about a tablespoon of the green curry paste. S doesn't appreciate the heat, so it was just right for her.

I did some yard work on Sunday and took care of household tasks (laundry, washing and such). We took a walk in the afternoon which was nice.

No comments: