Friday, October 15, 2004

Jon Stewart versus Crossfire

Jon Stewart was on Crossfire today to promote his new book, America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction. Instead of promoting the new book, Stewart went on to plead with Tucker Carlson and Paul Begala to turn down the theater and promote debate and civil discourse. In the end, Carlson got reportedly very upset with Stewart and Stewart called Carlson a "big dick". Here's the transcript and some highlights that I've edited together. Please go read the actual transcript for more thorough and pointed discussion. I wish I had seen it.

STEWART: See, the thing is, we need your help. Right now, you're helping the politicians and the corporations. And we're left out there to mow our lawns.

BEGALA: By beating up on them? You just said we're too rough on them when they make mistakes.

STEWART: No, no, no, you're not too rough on them. You're part of their strategies. You are partisan, what do you call it, hacks...

CARLSON: It's nice to get them to try and answer the question. And in order to do that, we try and ask them pointed questions. I want to contrast our questions with some questions you asked John Kerry recently.

STEWART: If you want to compare your show to a comedy show, you're more than welcome to. I wouldn't aim for us. I'd aim for "Seinfeld." That's a very good show...

BEGALA: Well, it's because, see, we're a debate show.

STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great.

BEGALA: It's like saying The Weather Channel reduces everything to a storm front.

STEWART: I would love to see a debate show.

BEGALA: We're 30 minutes in a 24-hour day where we have each side on, as best we can get them, and have them fight it out.

STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great. To do a debate would be great. But that's like saying pro wrestling is a show about athletic competition...

CARLSON: I do think you're more fun on your show. Just my opinion. K, up next, Jon Stewart goes one on one with his fans...

STEWART: You know what's interesting, though? You're as big a dick on your show as you are on any show.


Update: Here's a link to a bit torrent of the audio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought it was brilliant.
I love, love John Stewart.

--oomingmak

Scott said...

Well, if I hear a concession speech on my drive to the polling booth again this year I'll be writing in Jon Stewart.

I actually heard Dole give his concession speech when I was driving to cast my vote and voted for the dopey guy with the big ears (Ross Perot) to encourage another party.